The days of three-stage reverse osmosis systems are over. Desalitech's closed circuit desalination process results in a single pass system design with recoveries of over 90%.
To achieve 85% recoveries, traditional reverse osmosis designs require three stages membrane designs. Desalitech's closed circuit process utilizes a batching process which recirculates the brine stream to the front of the RO process. This recirculation results in an increasingly concentrated feed stream. Once the feed stream reaches the critical concentration, the brine stream is closed to the feed and is purged to waste. This batching process allows us to meet recoveries into the low 90% with many types of feed water quality.
Traditional Reverse Osmosis
Closed Circuit Reverse Osmosis
By utilizing the CCD concept, Desalitech is able to provide:
1. Higher recoveries than any other type of traditional RO process.
2. Reduced energy by more closely following the osmotic pressure curve during operation.
3. Reduced brine production through recirculation and brine re-usage.
4. Improved membrane life due to the flushing provided during the purging sequence.
5. Ability to handle changing water qualities.